Who We Are
The Zionist Federation of Australia (ZFA) is the federal roof body of all Zionist organisations and activity in Australia, responsible for developing, enriching and supporting a meaningful relationship between the Australian Jewish community and the State of Israel.Founded in Melbourne in 1927, by personalities such as Sir John Monash and Rabbi I. Brodie, the ZFA has grown to become one of the most active Zionist Federations across the globe and continues to be a relevant, active and central address for all Zionist activity throughout Australia.
The ZFA believes in the centrality of Israel as a determining factor in the creation and maintenance of Jewish identity. As such, the ZFA facilitates a series of annual activities and initiatives – be they cultural, educational or political – that are designed to strengthen personal ties and affiliations with the ever-evolving innovation that is Israel.
Furthermore, the ZFA is in regular consultation with the Australian and Israeli governments, is represented on a number of international Jewish and Zionist bodies, and is the Australian representative of the Jewish Agency For Israel (JAFI) and the World Zionist Organisation (WZO).
The ZFA proudly supports and endorses the Jerusalem Program, as accepted at the 27th World Zionist Congress in 1968 (following the 1967 Six Day War) and as updated in 2004:
The Jerusalem Program (2004)
Zionism, the national liberation movement of the Jewish people, brought about the establishment of the State of Israel, and views a Jewish, Zionist, democratic and secure State of Israel to be the expression of the common responsibility of the Jewish people for its continuity and future.The foundations of Zionism are:
- The unity of the Jewish people, its bond to its historic homeland Eretz Yisrael, and the centrality of the State of Israel and Jerusalem, its capital, in the life of the nation.
- Aliyah from all countries and the effective integration of all immigrants into Israeli Society.
- Strengthening Israel as a Jewish, Zionist and democratic state and shaping it as an exemplary society with a unique moral and spiritual character, marked by mutual respect for the multi-faceted Jewish people, rooted in the vision of the prophets, striving for peace and contributing to the betterment of the world.
- Ensuring the future and the distinctiveness of the Jewish people by furthering Jewish, Hebrew and Zionist education, fostering spiritual and cultural values and teaching Hebrew as the national language.
- Nurturing mutual Jewish responsibility, defending the rights of Jews as individuals and as a nation, representing the national Zionist interests of the Jewish people, and struggling against all manifestations of anti-Semitism.
- Settling the country as an expression of practical Zionism.